Our Credit Union is constantly concerned about our member’s critical information and privacy. With this in mind, we have the following security services installed on our Internet server:
- Each server is behind a Firewall/IPS. This UNIX based hardware product blocks critical ports and IP addresses on servers from external attack and access, blocks packets based on data signatures, and alerts us of pending attacks.
- Each server runs proprietary software that constantly monitors the servers for unauthorized use and attempts to "hack" into information. Administrators are contact when forced attacks are committed, and countermeasures can be applied to stop these instances.
- All administrative activity requires user login and authentication. All administrative updates are logged into files that can be reviewed later.
- All servers come with a Global SSL Certificate (RSA) for digitally encrypted communications between the Web server and your member. Information passed in applications cannot be decrypted by third parties attempting to "pick" information being passed across the Internet backbone.
- All servers run the latest version of Apache Web Server, considered the strongest and most secure Web server software on the market.
If after reading this notice you have questions, please contact us:
Northern Lights Community FCU at (906) 439-5100
or write to:
Northern Lights Community FCU
E3700 State Road 94
P.O. Box 126
Chatham, MI. 49816
Information We Collect About You
We collect nonpublic personal information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you on applications and other forms
- Information about your transactions with us
- Information we receive from a consumer reporting agency
- Information obtained when verifying the information you provide on an application or other forms; this may be obtained from your current or past employers, or from other institutions where you conduct financial transactions
We may disclose all of the information we collect, as described above, as permitted by law.
Parties Who Receive Information From Us
We may disclose nonpublic personal information about you to the following types of third parties:
- Financial service providers, such as mortgage service companies.
- Non-financial companies, such as consumer reporting agencies, check/share draft printers, financial statement publishers/printers, plastic card processors, and government agencies.
Disclosure of Information to Parties That Provide Services to Us
In order for us to conduct the business of the credit union, we may disclose all of the information we collect, as described above, to nonaffiliated third parties for the purposes of processing and servicing transactions that you request or authorize.
We may also disclose nonpublic personal information about you under circumstances as permitted or required by law. These disclosures typically include information to process transactions on your behalf, conduct the operations of our credit union, follow your instructions as you authorize, or protect the security of our financial records.
To protect our members' privacy, we only work with companies that agree to maintain strong confidentiality protections and limit the use of information we provide. We do not permit these companies to sell the information we provide to other third parties.
Disclosure of Information About Former Members
If you terminate your membership with Northern Lights Community FCU, we will not share information we have collected about you, except as may be permitted or required by law.
How We Protect Your Information
We restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to those employees who need to know that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic, or procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard your nonpublic personal information. We will never ask for any personal credit card or financial information via e-mail. We do not share our internal e-mail lists with anyone, and have security in place to ensure that our internal databases are not being accessed.
What Members Can Do to Help
Northern Lights Community FCU is committed to protecting the privacy of its members. Members can help by following these simple guidelines:
- Protect your account numbers, plastic card numbers, PINs (personal identification numbers) or passwords. Never keep your PIN with your card, which can provide free access to your accounts if your card is lost or stolen.
- Use caution when disclosing your account numbers, Social Security numbers, etc. to other persons. If someone calls you explaining the call is on behalf of the credit union and asks for your account number, you should beware. Official credit union staff will have access to your information and will not need to ask for it.
- Keep your information with us current. If your address or phone number changes, please let us know. It is important that we have current information on how to reach you. If we detect potentially fraudulent or unauthorized activity or use of an account, we will attempt to contact you immediately.